Worddly
Saturday, October 29, 2016

Prompt 29 - Mirror

            It happened again today, as it does every other. I watch in the mirror as another of myself mimics my every move, which goes on far longer than I like. Then when I finally give up, it stops. I rest my arms on the sink and the mimic doesn’t.
            “I suppose you find this entertaining.” I rasp.
            “I wish.” He responded. “Watching you is more exhausting than anything. You’re pathetic.”
            “Good, I guess that means you are too.” I smiled back.
            “Does that mean me too?” Another entered the room on the other side of the glass. The same, yet with an altogether different look in his eyes. “I bet you forgot about me.”
            “What the hell?” My eyes shot wide.
            “Yeah that’s right, I’m still here.”
            “And just as much hell to live with as you.” The first chimed in.
            “Tell me you remember.” The second returned. “Say who I am.”
            “You’re both me…” I started.
            “But which one am I?”
            “You’re the one… when I…”
            “The one who stole. You’re a thief.”
            “I am not!” I cried out.
            “How about about murder?!” The next one walked in.
            “That… That was self-defense!”
            “Was it? Or was it because he came after you for drug money you owed?”
            “I got clean!”
            “Sure, and lied to the police about it!”
            “I got clean, a drug dealer is gone!”
            “What about the car?”
            “It…I… I needed the money.”
            “After you got clean?”
            “I was still out the money I spent on drugs. I needed the job.”
            “Of course you did. Like when you were strung out and screwed six people out of a job by taking the notice. People with kids. Homes.”
            “No, it wasn’t-”
            “Liar.”
            “Thief.”
            “Murderer.”
            “Monster.”
            “No! I’m not you anymore!”
            “You think you can get rid of us?”
            “We’re part of you.”
            “Forever.”

            I watch their hands collect around me, taking hold where they can and tugging, pulling, tearing me from the sink and into the mirror with them, finally rejoining the facets of my life I tried to leave as the glass fractures behind me and I’m lost to my reflections.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Place Comment Here

Josh Sobek

Search Worddly